Frequently Asked Questions
LAST UPDATED: June 20, 2019
Why should I use ReceiptPal?
ReceiptPal lets you earn rewards just for submitting receipts of your purchases. Plus, all of your receipts are stored in one handy place, so you can keep track of your spending in a secure location.
What devices can I use with ReceiptPal?
The ReceiptPal app works with most smartphones running either the Apple/iOS or Android operating systems. Note, if your smartphone is running on an older version operating system the performance of the ReceiptPal app may be negatively impacted.
ReceiptPal currently does not support the iPad or other brands of tablets.
Do I need to update the ReceiptPal app?
Already a member of ReceiptPal? From time to time, we will notify you that a newer version of the ReceiptPal app is available. We encourage and sometimes may require our members to update to the newest version of the app to minimize potential technical issues and ensure access to all ReceiptPal offers. Depending upon your device, go to either the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the latest app version.
How many Point Cards do I get each week?
New users receive five Point Cards with a value of 100 points each the day they join. After that, we hand out up to three new Point Cards for you to fill out every week. New Point Cards are handed out every Sunday. Five is the maximum number of Point Cards anyone can have at a given time.
However, we allow you to submit as many receipts as you like each week. If you run out of Point Cards for the week, please submit any additional receipts to the Sweepstakes Card available in the app – you'll earn two sweeps entries for every receipt!
When must receipts be submitted?
Receipts will be accepted through the third day of the week after purchase, but please try to submit them within the week of purchase when possible.
- Any receipts for purchases made between Sunday and Saturday of any week must be submitted by the Tuesday of the following week. For example, if you made a purchase on Monday, March 4th 2019, then you must submit a receipt for that purchase by Tuesday, March 12th 2019.
- Expiration is determined by the submission date and not the date that your receipts are validated.
- ReceiptPal now makes it easier to keep track of receipt submission deadlines by including the receipt dates currently being accepted on the Point Card in the app.
- Remember, we allow you to submit as many receipts as you like each week. If you run out of Point Cards for the week, please submit your receipts to the Sweepstakes Card – you'll earn two sweeps entries for every receipt!
What qualifies as a valid receipt?
- Receipts are those where you or a household member were involved in the purchase.
- Receipts can be from any retailer/store for consumer goods purchases of all types such as convenience stores, travel and entertainment, restaurants, grocery stores, clothing stores, sporting goods stores, electronics stores, gas stations, car dealerships, online retailers, etc.
- Receipts must include the store name, purchase date, total amount spent and either phone number or zip code of the store (the entire receipt must be in the photo).
- Receipts must be in English and in U.S. dollars.
- Receipts must be from retailer/stores located in the United States, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands or Guam.
- Receipts must be readable by our system, so make sure you snap a clear photo.
- Receipts must be submitted within the receipt submission window. Please see When must receipts be submitted?.
What types of receipts are not accepted?
- A receipt missing: Purchase Date, Store Name and/or Total Price.
- Business or company related purchases. Receipts must be for items purchased for you and your family's personal use.
- Bills such as cell phone, utilities, doctor, car payments, mortgage, insurance, etc.
- Receipts with a $0 value.
- Receipts for returns.
- Receipts for participation in games of chance (e.g. lottery tickets, scratch-off tickets).
- Receipts that are from payment processors (e.g. PayPal), consumer-to-consumer platforms (e.g., eBay, Etsy) or distribution companies (e.g. Ticketmaster, Groupon).
- The same receipt cannot be submitted by you multiple times. You will get credit for the first submittal of the receipt and subsequent submittals will be returned as invalid receipts.
- Receipts may not be shared for submittal. This includes within a member's household and outside of a member's household. For example:
- You may not share a receipt with a spouse or another household member who may also be a ReceiptPal user. Shared receipts submitted from within a household will be considered invalid. Only one instance of a specific receipt within a household will be accepted. If you made the purchase with other ReceiptPal users within your household, the "primary purchaser" should be the ReceiptPal member who submits the receipt.
- You may not share a receipt outside of your household. If your relatives or friends are also ReceiptPal users, receipts may not be shared amongst these other users. Shared receipts submitted from outside a member's household will be considered invalid. Only one instance of a specific receipt will be accepted. If you made the purchase with other ReceiptPal users outside of your household, the "primary purchaser" should be the ReceiptPal member who submits the receipt.
- Blurry receipt images not readable by our system.
- Screenshots from a computer/phone.
- Handwritten receipts.
- Money Orders, ATM Receipts and Bank Draft/Checks
- If the phrase "This is not a receipt" appears on the receipt.
How do I dispute an invalid receipt?
To dispute any receipts you feel were marked as invalid in error, please contact ReceiptPal Support
as soon as you are notified. All receipt disputes must be reported within 21 days of submission. Please retain a copy of your receipt in the event that we ask you to resubmit it to ReceiptPal.
How do I snap long paper receipts using ReceiptPal?
For long receipts, we recommend you snap a picture of the receipt from a distance aerially (maybe place the receipt on the floor or table) to get the entire receipt in one snap. Please do not take multiple pictures of the receipt as we currently do not have the ability to stitch the images together. We should be able to zoom in to verify the desired information.
How long does it take for receipts to be validated?
Our aim is to validate your paper receipts and reward your points in less than 24 hours. Auto collected e-Receipts can take up to 72 hours to show up in your receipt log in the app. Sometimes, we experience large volumes, and we appreciate your patience as we catch up.
Why should I connect my email address?
When you register and connect your email address with ReceiptPal, your e-receipts will be automatically captured directly from your email inbox and credited to your ReceiptPal account - and you won't have to do a thing! Earn credit for every valid e-receipt, plus bigger and better rewards become available to you once you are connected for more than a month!
You can connect up to three emails to your ReceiptPal account for auto-collection and crediting of e-receipts.
Collecting e-receipts is the sole focus of connecting your email to ReceiptPal.
What email providers are eligible for email connection?
At this time, the following email providers are eligible for connection to ReceiptPal: AOL, Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo!. We are continuing to investigate the possibility of adding more email providers.
: If you use a Yahoo! email address, you may have to verify ReceiptPal as a connection. Below are instructions to ensure you are connected.
- First, the password you use to sign up should always match your most current Yahoo password. If it does not, your email address will disconnect. Please confirm with Yahoo that the password you are entering to connect is correct.
- Second, please modify Account security to allow apps that allow less secure sign in.
Please follow these steps:
- Login to Yahoo and go to your account.
- On the account page on the left hand bar you will see "Account Security" - click on that.
- Scroll down on that page to the last item "Allow Apps that use less secure sign in" and turn that on.
How do I connect my email address so I can get credit for my e-receipts automatically?
To register and connect your email address:
- In the ReceiptPal app, tap Account in the bottom right corner of the tab bar.
- Tap on Manage Account.
- Tap on the blue "Register Now" button.
- Fill out the profile information.
- Make sure the "Connect your email" toggle switch is set to green (on).
Remember, you will need to complete step #5 in order to get automatic credit for e-receipts.
: if you've previously signed up with ReceiptPal, you may be able to skip steps 3 and 4.
- In the ReceiptPal app, tap Rewards in the tab bar on the bottom.
- Scroll down until you see the blue "Connect Email" button.
- Tap on the blue "Connect Email" button.
- Fill out the information.
If you try to connect your email address but do not remember your email account password, please contact your Email Service Provider.
ReceiptPal will identify e-Receipts which may qualify for points starting with those e-receipts with a purchase date that is the same date as the day you connect your email address for auto collection to ReceiptPal.
: each week it may take a few days for ReceiptPal to extract qualified e-Receipts from your inbox and credit them to your ReceiptPal account. You may want to make sure your e-receipts appear in your main inbox and stay in your inbox for a few days before deleting them or moving them to a different folder. Remember, you can check your receipt log in the app to make sure your e-receipts are being credited to your account.
Why should I connect my ReceiptPal account to Amazon?
When you connect your ReceiptPal account to your Amazon account, your e-receipts for your Amazon purchases will be automatically captured and credited to your ReceiptPal account.
Earn credit for every valid Amazon receipt, plus bigger and better rewards become available to you once you are connected for more than a month!
You can connect an Amazon account that is associated with either your email address or mobile phone number.
How do I connect my ReceiptPal account to Amazon so I can get credit for my Amazon receipts automatically?
To connect your Amazon account:
- In the ReceiptPal app, tap Rewards in the tab bar on the bottom.
- Scroll down until you see the blue "Connect Amazon" button.
- Tap on the blue "Connect Amazon" button.
What information does ReceiptPal collect if I connect my email and/or Amazon account?
If you opt in to automated email or Amazon collection, ReceiptPal will use this permission only to collect purchase information from e-receipts found in the email account(s) you've granted ReceiptPal access to.
The purchase information collected is the same purchase information we collect from receipts you submit photos for via your Point Cards.
Remember, ReceiptPal takes purchase information from your receipts and anonymizes it by combining it with receipt information from other ReceiptPal members.
Is there a rewards program?
Yes! Submit a photo of a receipt or have ReceiptPal automatically capture an e-receipt to your ReceiptPal account. Once we validate the receipt, you'll earn points that can be used toward great rewards like gift cards. The more receipts you submit, the more points you earn, so start submitting receipts now!
Please note that registration is not necessary for use of the ReceiptPal Service, but only registered users are eligible to participate in the ReceiptPal rewards program as described in the ReceiptPal Rewards Program Official Rules
Am I entered into the sweepstakes?
Yes! As a registered member, when you submit four valid receipts to a Point card you earn 100 points and every validated receipt earns you one entry into our Sweepstakes program. If you complete all your Point cards before they are replenished on Sunday, you can submit receipts directly to the Sweepstakes card for double the Sweepstakes entries per receipt (but no additional points). So keep snapping!
How many weekly sweepstakes are there?
For members who have downloaded the ReceiptPal app, there are 3 sweepstakes entry periods each week as follows:
Entry Period #1: Sunday 12:00 AM and Monday 11:59 PM
Entry Period #2: Tuesday 12:00 AM and Wednesday 11:59 PM
Entry Period #3: Thursday 12:00 AM and Saturday 11:59 PM
Participant's time zone will govern the time the entry is received.
For additional information, see the ReceiptPal Rewards Program Official Rules
How do bonus games work?
When you submit four valid receipts to a Point card you earn a bonus game. When the bonus game appears in the ReceiptPal app, follow the on-screen instructions to win either points or sweepstakes entries. Your bonus prize will automatically be credited to your account. The maximum number of bonus games a member can receive in one week is five.
When can I start to redeem rewards?
You can redeem a reward as long as the reward is unlocked and you have the required points needed to redeem that reward.
Visit the Rewards section of your ReceiptPal app to see which, if any, rewards are unlocked and the number of points needed for redemption.
Make sure you've got the most recent version of the ReceiptPal app in order to access the latest reward options. Depending upon your device, go to either the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the latest version.
How do I unlock rewards?
Visit the Rewards section of your ReceiptPal app to see what rewards, if any, are locked and if locked, how to unlock them.
How do I redeem rewards?
Here are the steps:
- Tap on Rewards on the main screen of the app.
- Tap on the Reward you want to redeem.
- Tap Redeem.
Either, tap Yes to confirm you want to redeem your points for that reward. Please be certain of this choice since you cannot return a reward code once you claim it;
or Tap No if you decide not to redeem your points for that reward.
If you tap Yes, an email with the reward code will immediately be sent to the email address you used to register with ReceiptPal.
Reminder, you can only redeem a reward if it is unlocked and you have the number of points required for redemption.
Do my points expire?
Points do not expire as long as you are an active member.
If you do not submit a receipt by snapping a photo through the Point Card camera for 90 days, your accumulated points are automatically forfeited and your account is reset back to zero points.
Do my rewards expire?
Most rewards do not have expiration dates and can be used at any time.
Please note that the following reward does have an expiration date:
- Virtual VISA Gift Card (expiration date can be found on front of the reward).
What happens if I get a new phone or hard reset my current phone?
- Download the ReceiptPal app. Depending upon your device, go to either the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to download the latest version.
- Open up the ReceiptPal app.
- Tap on either Account or Rewards in the tab bar on the bottom.
- Look for the blue "Register Now" button and tap it.
- Enter the information requested including the email address you originally registered with ReceiptPal. Please manually type your entire email address (do not autofill if a pop up appears).
- Validate your email address.
Refresh the app by closing and re-opening it on your phone.
- If you previously had connected your email for automatic collection of e-receipts, enter the password for your email account.
- If you had not previously connected your email, go to your email inbox, open the email sent to you by ReceiptPal and click the link.
Once you validate your email address, your points and receipt archive will be re-associated to your phone.
How can I view my receipts?
- For access to images of your receipts, go to the Account tab and tap on Receipt Log.
- The receipts will be organized into three categories which are displayed at the top of your screen: Valid, Processing, and Invalid.
- Invalid and Processing receipts are organized by "snap" date (i.e., the date you 'snapped' a photo using the camera on the receipt card and submitted it for validation) for paper receipts and purchase date for e-receipts.
- Valid receipts are automatically organized by purchase date. You have the ability to sort and filter your Valid receipts by purchase date, alphabetically by store name or by total dollar amount.
To sort Valid receipts from the Receipt Log
- Go to the Account tab and tap on Receipt Log. Make sure the "Valid" category is selected, and your valid receipts will be automatically sorted "New to Old".
- Tap on the green bar at the top, and you will be given the option to change the way your receipts are sorted. You may choose:
Tap on the option of how you want your receipts sorted.
- New to Old
- Old to New
- A to Z
- Z to A
- $ to $$$
- $$$ to $
To filter Valid receipts from the Receipt Log
- Go to the Account tab and tap on Receipt Log. Make sure the "Valid" category is selected. Tap on the filter funnel at the top right.
- You will have the ability to enter a range of purchase dates, select one or more merchants/stores and enter a range of prices. You can filter on one, two or all three options.
- Tap "Apply".
- To clear the filter(s), tap on the filter funnel again at the top right. Tap "Clear Filters" and then tap on "Apply".
How is my information protected?
When you download the ReceiptPal app, the software is installed on your phone. The receipts and other information you capture, however, are not retained on the phone. The same applies to e-receipt information ReceiptPal automatically collects from members that have connected their email and/or Amazon account. It's all uploaded and stored on our virtual servers. Don't worry - this is a safe, secure site. All communication between the ReceiptPal app and our servers uses a SSL-encrypted certificate to keep information safe.
Does ReceiptPal have a referral program?
From time to time, ReceiptPal may offer a referral program. When available, the referral program is open to active ReceiptPal members with a validated email address. When the program is open, members can make a referral by going to the Account tab in the app and tapping on “Refer A Friend”. The app will then take members through the process of selecting who they want to refer and initiating an invitation that includes a referral link the person they are referring must use to register.
Eligible members will earn points for referrals once the person referred connects their email for auto collection of receipts to ReceiptPal. Please note, at this time, the following email providers are eligible for connection to ReceiptPal: AOL, Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo!. To get credit for the referral, the person referred must not have used the ReceiptPal app before. Each member can earn credit for up to 25 referrals per calendar month.
For additional information, see our Refer A Friend Terms and Conditions
When does ReceiptPal access my camera?
ReceiptPal only accesses the camera when you are snapping pictures of receipts. If you use a Samsung mobile device, a background permission related to the Samsung App Permission Monitor may show that ReceiptPal is using your camera while the app is closed. The App Permission Monitor detects that ReceiptPal is running in the background for other purposes (e.g. receiving messages from ReceiptPal), sees that you have granted camera permissions to ReceiptPal, and alerts you that ReceiptPal might be using your camera when it is not.
Will ReceiptPal work if I am using a VPN on my device?
ReceiptPal will not work if you are using a VPN on your device. Some apps may add a VPN to your device. Please check to make sure a VPN is not in use prior to using the ReceiptPal app. If you are connected to a VPN, please disconnect from the VPN before using the ReceiptPal app to ensure you will have access to all of the app's features.
Who is The NPD Group?
ReceiptPal was created by The NPD Group, Inc ("NPD"). NPD Group provides market information and advisory services to help companies make better business decisions. We help our clients develop the right products and get them in the right places at the right prices for the right people in order to grow their businesses. We are known for our expertise in industries including food, fashion, technology, and more.
What do you do with my receipts?
The ReceiptPal team takes information from your receipts and combines it with information from other ReceiptPal members. The resulting combined, anonymized information is then used by companies to better understand consumer purchase behaviors so they can make better product and marketing decisions.
How do I Unsubscribe?
Registration and participation is voluntary. You may remove the ReceiptPal app at any time by deleting it from your device.
Once the app is removed, you will no longer be able to upload receipts to your account.
You can also select to remove your email address from our mailing list by contacting us at ReceiptPal Support
How do I contact you?
We'd love to hear from you if you have questions or comments. Please go to the feedback section in the app or email ReceiptPal Support